Mooring in 25kn of wind! (it didn’t go well) 😂

A Week Aboard S/V Sabado: 5/16/2021 – 5/23/2021

Hi! Did you catch our latest YouTube video?

This week’s update will be short and sweet because I’ve been busy writing letters of recommendation for some past students of mine (it’s grad school application time for them!). Regardless, let’s jump right in!

We left Palm Beach Monday morning and headed South to Miami. 

It was a pretty uneventful sail, we had to use a motor for most of it but we were still able to fly the main and jib

We hugged the shoreline the entire way to avoid battling the Gulf Stream. It was a bumpy ride, but we ended up with an average speed of 7kn! I also seemed to have cracked the code on avoiding seas sickness: constant snacking. I’m not sure if there’s any science behind it, but I’ve been trying it out over the past month or so and haven’t felt sick! This trip was 100% the type of conditions I’d usually feel gross in, but I was perfectly fine. 🙏🏼 So, send your favorite healthy snack recommendations my way! 😂

We passed Stiltsville just before sunset and dropped anchor outside of No Name Harbor in Biscayne Bay for the night. 

The next morning we made the remaining short sail into Miami. The trip only took us 30mins, but by the time we arrived at the mooring field we were in about 25kn of wind with 3ft seas. 

I stood on the bow with the boat hook, ready to grab the line on the ball. Ray maneuvered us right up to it, I hooked the line and started bringing it out of the water. Ray left the helm and joined me on the bow to help pull our lines through the eye, but the second he did we started drifting backwards- fast. The boat hook got stuck and my choices were to let go of it or dislocate my shoulder😂 I held on for as long as I could- leaning over the lifelines, arms fully extended- while Ray ran back to the helm, but we were going against the wind and current so it took him a minute to get the boat to move forward… I had to let go, and dropped the boat hook into the water. 

We both let out a stream of curse words, and I jogged to the stern to catch the hook. It took a few attempts, but we got it back onboard and successfully got ourselves on the mooring ball. It wasn’t our best performance, but we made it safe and sound! 

The weather was supposed to get worse over the next few days, with 30kn sustained winds headed our way, so we put a couple of fenders under our mooring lines to relieve some of the pressure on the fiberglass and prevent chafing. 

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday looked like this:

So, we hung out on the boat and watched a lot of The Walking Dead. 😂 By Friday, we were fed up- we put the dinghy into the water and headed to shore. Luckily it had stopped raining, but the wind and waves made for a pretty rough ride! It was worth it though, we ended up getting some coffee and walking a couple miles to get vaccinated, then rewarded ourselves with some sushi before heading home. 

That night Ray woke up with a fever and wasn’t feeling too great the rest of the following day, so we napped and lounged around the boat. We’re thinking it was just an adverse reaction to the vaccine, because he’s feeling much better today! The weather seems to be calming down as well, so we might go explore on shore a bit. 

What are you doing today? ❤️

Leave a Reply